This profession is all about making customized clothes.
Show me your job! Tailor/ Fashion designer
By clicking on this video, YouTube videos will be displayed on this website in the future. We would like to point out to you that after activation, data will be transmitted to YouTube. You can opt out of this activation at any time on the page Privacy.
What does a Tailor/ Fashion designer do?
As a tailor, you make various items of clothing. These are made either from your own designs or according to the wishes of customers. The patterns and designs are made by hand, but also on the computer. Most of the clothing is made with sewing machines, but sometimes manual work is necessary. You advise customers on the choice of fabrics. As well as making new clothes, as a tailor you can also alter, modernise and repair worn clothes.
What is important?
- Dexterity and eye-hand coordination (e.g. when handling fine needles and threads, when cutting fabrics).
- Creativity and sense of aesthetics (e.g. when designing and making garments)
- Customer orientation (e.g. when responding to customer wishes)
- Craftsmanship (e.g. setting up, operating, maintaining sewing machines)
- Carefulness and observation (e.g. handling delicate fabrics, improving the fit of garments)
- Knowledge of materials
Other jobs that might interest you
Courses for Tailors/ Fashion designers
The basic level is intended for people just starting out in their careers. Here you can acquire basic knowledge for your future profession in self-study units.